Updated: Jun 24
While we will be highlighting some of our favorite boutique hotels and unique vacation homes or stays, here are some highlights for general booking, along with some tips.
1. Hip Camp: Hipcamp is an online marketplace (like Airbnb) that offers outdoor stays and camping experiences via private landowners primarily list campsites, glampsites, RV spaces, cabins for users to discover and book based on listing type, location, landscape, activities offered, and amenities. There is a wide swing in quality, so be sure to follow the high ratings to the winners.
2. KOA: An American franchise of privately owned campgrounds, with more than 500 locations across the United States and Canada, making it the world's largest system of privately owned campgrounds. While there are other search engines for independent campsite access, or National Parks,
3. Collective Retreats: Unique outdoor luxury hospitality, camping, and tiny homes across the USA - including that annual event on Governor's Island in NYC.
4. Outdoorsy: The largest marketplace for renting RVs directly from local RV owners, which is expanding into campgrounds.
5. Airbnb or VRBO: The OGs. From Lake Houses, to Farm Houses, to pretty much everything else, you can find it here. But like everything else, pay attention to reviews and rules, and those nasty hidden fees. Once you do you due diligence, there can be gems to be had.